Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Visiting Jerry

This is what happens on our monthly visits to see Jerry at Rocky Bay. It's pretty much the same each month. Nothing really changes. (Except this time I had my camera with me.) But, they love it and look forward to it so much. When I get to their home they are always ready to go, and just waiting for me to drive up. Dad is in a wheelchair now, which makes it easier for all of us.


When we get into the car the first thing we do is call mom's sister, Judy so they can talk. The conversation goes something like this. "It is so good to hear your voice. How are you? We are going to visit Jerry. What do you do all day long. I can't hear you! We always remember you in our prayers". (Now this is repeated many times..at least 10-11 times) I guess it doesn't matter to them since they both have short-term memory problems. One time when she said, "We always remember you in our prayers", I guess Judy didn't understand and I heard mom say, "No, not in my purse, in my prayers! My mom is usually upbeat, laughing, and very cheerful. I know it must be nice for her sister to get calls from her.


Here we are playing our usual game of dominoes in the staff kitchen! Since we have done this everytime we visit (over 4 1/2 years now), the staff always have his dominoes ready for when we arrive.




Mom is helping dad with his hand. He's pretty slow getting his dominoes up and ready and not quite as quick at figuring out which dominoe he should play. Pretty nice of my mom to help him since she has always been soooo competitive when she plays any games. And dad won today!



Our next stop is a restaurant. Here we are at KFC. Dad chose it because he says he doesn't like to pay gratuity. But, I think he likes it because it is mostly fingerfoods which are easier for him to eat.


Riding home they always fall asleep in the back seat, holding hands. I usually put on CD's that I know they enjoy.
Just before the exit to their home, I suddenly heard the outside traffic. I thought dad had rolled down the window. I quickly learned though, that he had opened the door. I yelled to mom, "Mom, dad just opened his door!" She quickly scolded him and told him to give her his hand. I heard her say, "No, Arthur, the other hand"! He quickly obeyed and we were soon off the freeway where we could pull over. I kidded him and said, "Dad what am I going to do with you so you don't open the car door while we are on the freeway? Maybe I will have to put you in the trunk!" He chuckled about that! I thought our doors were kidproof after they were locked. Guess not! So now, I need to get out our car manual and see what I need to do.

Now, my dad is obsessive about playing each "C" piano key whenever he passes the piano and it is opened. It is next to impossible to get him to move past the piano until he has completed his "task". So if I am in a hurry, I'll need to remember to close it.
So it goes each month! It is a joy to do it for them because they are always so appreciative and means so much to them!

12 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

your parents were clearly great parents, because YOU are a great daughter! That picture of your sleeping parents holding hands is priceless!!!

Rebecca said...

i love all those pictures of grandma & grandpa. they are just so sweet to each other!

Jaime said...

Can I just say that the one of them asleep holding hands is absolutely beautiful! They are so cute & so in love, and it is wonderful to see. You are a wonderful daughter to take them each month to see Jerry.

Angie Startin said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I love the pictures and the one of them brought tears to my eyes and made me laugh at the same time. I feel so out of touch out here and it is good to get a glimps into what is going on in their lives. THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

I love these pictures! They are the cutest couple. They love each other so much! It brought tears to my eyes. But I love the story of Grandpa opening the door on the freeway. I guess you need the kind of locks that kids and the elderly can't open! Too funny. Thanks for documenting and sharing it.

The Mendenhall's said...

Mom- this has been my favorite blog post ever. Grandma and Grandpa are so cute and so in love. I hope Eric and I are just like them when we get older. They make me smile. I love how much you take care of them and I love that you took the time to make us a part of it.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, Thank you so much for your attention to mom and dad - it is truly a blessing to them to have a daughter like you. Barb and I love your Blog - especially this entry. It is so touching to see those pictures and to hear of your monthly field trips.
Love, Ed and Barb

Rosanne said...

Mom just looked at these pictures and the comments from everyone and really enjoyed it!

The Ward Family Tree and All of It's Branches! said...

LOVED This posting!!! You are so wonderful!!! You inspire me. I'm with Angie....I laughed and cried at the same time.

Hailey Ledford said...

Thank you so much for these pictures and stories. I miss Grandma and Grandpa so much. These stories really make me laugh. My favorie was the pic of them asleep. Please give them a hug and kiss for me and tell them i love and miss them so much. Thanks Jenny!!

kelly said...

thanks aunt jenny!
great pictures...

Kari said...

We're so glad you documented this, we loved it!