Monday, June 9, 2008

Forgetful!

Today, I spent some time at my parent's Bonnie Lake house going through a lot of their papers. This Saturday, some of the siblings and friends will be helping them dump and give things away. It is amazing what neat stories/histories can be found in all that they have saved over the years. Well, I came across this little poem in some of my mom's things and it made me smile!


From One Friend To Another

Just a line to say I'm living
That I'm not among the dead
Tho' I'm getting more forgetful
And more mixed up in the head.

At times I can't remember
When standing by the stairs
If I must go up for something
Or have just come down from there.

And before the fridge so often
My mind is filled with doubt...
Have I just put food away ... or
Have I come to take some out.

And there are times when it is dark outside
With my nightie on the bed
I don't know if I'm retiring
Or just getting out of bed.

So if it's my turn to write you
There's no need of getting sore
I may think that I have written
And don't want to be a bore.

So ... Remember I do love you
And I wish that you were here
Now it is nearly mail time ... so
I must say goodbye, I fear.

So here I stand beside the mailbox
With my face so very red
Instead of MAILING you my letter
I have opened it instead!
--Anonymous

3 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

I could have written that!!!!

Unknown said...

that is a funny poem. It made me laugh! I miss going to their house in Bonnie Lake.

Rebecca said...

that is so funny!... and sad that i can already relate! ;)