Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Memories!


This past week we were in Idaho Falls for the funeral of Mark's mom! It was a beautiful funeral and a great tribute to the loving person she was!! She had a grandchild from each of her childrens' family speak! They each honored her in their own special way and we all wept or laughed and sometimes both! Jason represented our family and did a beautiful job. For those who know him, his talk is posted on his blog. Just click on the link on my side panel for Jason and Jenn.



Mark laying his boutonniere on his mom's casket!



Here are all of her children and grandchildren (except Jason Besendorfer who was at the MTC in Provo) under the same tree where we had our last Stringham photo 17 years ago at Grandpa Stringham's funeral! A lot of the cousins we hadn't seen in many years. Some of my kids hadn't seen one or two of their cousins since Grandpa's funeral! We are the family that lives far away!



Grandma Stringham's children: Nadene Reich, Mark, Ilene Franck and Lila Besendorfer! I've noticed that all four of them have the same gentle, kind, and loving demeanor just like both their mom and dad!



These are the fields that Mark grew up with! He planted, changed sprinklers, and harvested along with his mom and dad! They grew a little of everyting, but a lot potatoes. That farm paid for all of their childrens' way through college and two of them on missions! I guess they had some not so good years, but mostly good years as far as crops were concerned. Some of you may not know, but Ashton, Idaho is the potato seed capital of the world! So even if your potatoes say they're from somewhere else they may have gotten their start right here in Ashton, Idaho as seed potatoes!



Rebecca loves to capture the old fashioned things in her pictures! These are the run-down farm machinery that his dad used. There were no air-conditioned cabs on the tractors like you see now! They hand carried the sprinklers -- no sprinklers on wheels! I think their generation could teach us a thing or two about hard work!


Our children spent many hours riding three wheelers, or walking down the little roads on the farm!


Mark and I spent many hours watching our kids play at this little canal -- they loved throwing rocks, trying to watch as the dried leaves or weeds they had thrown in went from one side to the other side, or hanging their feet in the water. I even seem to remember some of them accidentally slipping into the water! This is one of their absolutely favorite memories of the farm! It proves to me that the things that bring us the greatest joy and the greatest memories are not fancy things!



This little farm brought so many happy memories into my children's lifes that they all get emotional at the thought of it being sold! This was our little corner of the world and our safe haven! But, of the course, Grandpa and Grandma Stringham are what made it all so special!

10 comments:

Angie Startin said...

*sigh* Just looking at those pictures was tranquil for me. The Dances with Wolves song was playing and the pictures are just so meaningful and simple. I LOVE this post. BEAUTIFUL.

Rebecca said...

it's so true! you always pick the perfect song to go along with your posts! i loved reading your post!

Our Beautiful Life said...

How beautiful. I loved reading that, and what beautiful pictures! What wonderful memories you will always have. I love my parents very much but I often wish I had a more stable and nurturing upbringing like your kids had.
Thank goodness Brian did, so our children will too!
Thank you!

The Dillon 6 said...

it's like a dream...what beautiful pictures ~ I can't imagine them capturing your memories any better than they did for me...and I have never even been there!

Ammo and Josh said...

What a touching post! I can just "feel" what an amazing lady she was and how much everyone just adored and loved her. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of her. Those pictures say a thousand words.

kelly said...

sounds like a memorable day.
and how dang lucky are you to have THE most fantastic pictures to record it all?!
j&b rock!
thanks for sharing...

Jaime said...

What truly magnificent pictures. Glad you have these to remember her by & to remember your time there by.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful day to have a funeral for such a beautiful women!. The pictures are amazing and capture the day.

The Ward Family Tree and All of It's Branches! said...

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH I always loved driving through Ashton and watching the potato crops grow. It was always like taking a step back in time at least 20 years. What a great tribute to a great family. Wonderful pictures Becca and Jason.

Jaime said...

Just stopped by your blog, and I had to tell you that I LOVE your fall background. That is beautiful. I want it, although Mary would probably kill me if she had to re-do my blog.