Thursday, November 6, 2008

Liquid Laundry Detergent



Many of you may already know this. I had heard of it, but did not have the recipe.

At our last Enrichment Night, we learned how to make our own laundry detergent. It only costs a few pennies a load (depending how much you use). It is supposed to clean well and make your laundry really soft. You need not use liquid fabric softener or fabric softener sheets. I guess a lot of people make their own for various reasons -- cheaper, hypoallerginic, and because the fabric softener sheets have oils in them which clog up your dryer vents and can cause I fire. (I did not know that!)

Others dilute it a little and put some in a spray bottle and use it as a spray and wash stain remover for clothes, carpets, etc. (Carpets stains need to be rinsed with a clean white wet wash cloth and then dabbed with a dry cloth to remove moisture.)

I've decided to try it and will let you know if I find it worthy! But, since opinions are subjective I thought I would share this for all who are looking for ways to save money!

Here are the instructions we received: (Makes 3 gallons)

Liquid Laundry Soap (use 1/4 cup per load)
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated. (makes 2 cups),
1 1/2 cups Washing soda,
1 1/2 cups Borax. (These ingredients may be found at Market Place, Winco and Fred Meyer)


Boil 1/2 gal hot water, add grated soap, and dissolve.
Keep stirring add other soaps and dissolve.
Take off of stove and keep stirring.
Add 1/2 gal cool water and stir. This stirring process will keep it emulsified.
Add 1 gal cool water and stir about every 15 minutes with a mixer or stick blender. At this point you have 2 gal of water.

(If needed transfer to 5 gal bucket and add the last 1 gal cool water - 3 gals total).
Keep stirring with a long handle spoon.
As soon as it will not separate put in containers. (i.e. 1 gal milk jugs)(Someone I know goes to the dollar store and buys cheap 1 gal plastic containers)
1/4 cup per load.
This is safe for front load washers.
Before use give it a hard shake.

My friend, Alberta, says she buys 4 of the Fels-Naptha bars and 1 box each of the powdered detergents and she has her years supply of laundry detergent for her family of 5.

6 comments:

The Mendenhall's said...

I think we should all get together and make some of this. I am all about cheap!! I am also going to buy these things to have on hand for my year supply. I love that it is hypoallergenic too. Yippeee for Blake.

Ammo and Josh said...

That is totally cool! I would never have even thought to make my own laundry soap. I really should because I am addicted to doing laundry and go through a lot of soap! Thanks for sharing.

The Dillon 6 said...

i can't wait to hear what you think...my washer only needs a few tablespoons so that would last me a lifetime! ;)

Rebecca said...

so??? what do you think?!
i'm always forgetting to buy more detergent so it would be nice to have such a good supply!

Jaime said...

very interesting. so you'll have to let us know what you think. I think I would consider making it if we were in a larger place. My kitchen is rather small.

Unknown said...

That is so interesting, If you end up trying it let us know what you think.