Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Update on Great Grandpa Lee

It turns out he did not have pneumonia. Instead he had a condition (atelectasis) where the aveoli in his lungs (which exchange carbon dixode for oxygen) had collapsed. This can be caused because he is not as ambulatory as before. The Parkinson's makes it harder for him to breathe in deeply as before. So they sent him home with a spirometer (to blow the ball up to a designated spot). We're hoping they will give him some PT to help his stiff muscles, a nutrtionist to give ideas of altered foods that he will not choke on, and hopefully an increase in his Parkinson's medication.

When I talked to Rose on the phone I could hear mom in the background and she was very excited - talking and laughing!

Rose really has her hands full, but she is still cheerful as ever.

7 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

so that's good news, right? (lots of big words in this post). I tink that Rose is so happy to care for your parents because they were so happy to care for each of you. :)

kelly said...

thanks for another update.
wonderful rose...
and you!

kelly said...

oh, and i like your new blog-look!

Jaime said...

I'm so glad grandpa is home now. what a relief. I Hope he gets better quickly. you and rose are wonderful.

love the new blog layout.

The J's said...

Oh good!!! Keep us updated on everyone!!!

Jaime said...

I am giving you a blog award, so check out my blog later for my post.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! I tried leaving a comment a couple of days ago, but my internet connection has been very slow. You are such a wonderful daughter to grandma and grandpa. I am so glad that he is home.