Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hatched!




The babies must have hatched yesterday some time after noon or early this morning. I can't tell if they have all hatched or not. They don't even have their down growing yet. And they are all snuggled together and laying on top of each other. They also seem to be laying face down because I don't see any open beaks.




This is mommy bird keeping a close eye on me. She flew around me making her clicking noises. She's quite tiny! Anyone know what kind of a sparrow this is? I've never heard her sing, just "click" at me.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

congrats on teh baby birds. What fun! I hope you'll show more pictures as they get their down & show their faces.

Rebecca said...

how exciting! i can't wait to see them a little bit bigger! this is so fun!

Ammo and Josh said...

ah clearly its an adult dark-eyed junco. Just kidding, I have no idea. When I type "little bird with dark head in washingon" into the internet it tells me things. And I believe them. Not always the best idea.

I grew up in upstate NY where my mother always kept a field guide and a pair of binoculars next to the window facing the garden. Unfortunately I never learned anything from her. Except that I hate weeding.

Anyways, nice to meet you! Virtually.
*Josh

Mark and Jennifer said...

Thanks Josh! I looked it up on the internet and it looks just exactly like the adult dark-eyed junco sparrow in the picture! They say lives in Oregon! Close enough!

The Dillon 6 said...

If you ever decide she's not a junco sparrow, I bet she's a clicking sparrow. ;) What a fun experience!!!