Wednesday, August 13, 2008

In The Winter of Her Life!


We're back from our trip. We love going to Idaho Falls, because this is where Mark and I started out our lives together. We were married in this temple 36 years ago. It is beautiful! I hope Becca posts some of her and Jason's photos of this temple, because they were spectacular.





But, our main reason for visiting was to spend some time with Mark's mom who is now 93 years old and living in an assisted living home. She gave us a scare a couple of weeks ago, so Mark and I, Maria and her family and Becca and her family drove down to see her. Here she is with Becca. When she gives you a hug hello or good-bye she holds on for a long time!




Here are Becca and Maria reminiscing with her about old times and telling her all about their children. She holds on to every word and wants to know everything! She was also able to talk to Jason, Brian and James on the phone. (She unfortunately, was not having a good afternoon the time she talked to Jason and we intended to call him back later in the week when Maria and Becca and their families had left. But, she was having bad days, was breathless, and not wanting to sit up so we didn't get to phone him back) Maybe we just plain wore her out!




Doesn't she look lonely? But, I was told she was just the last one finished at her table! She just doesn't like to eat these days! It was sad for me to see this because one of our favorite memories is her big farm-cooked meals, cooked from scratch and most everything came from her garden and/or the farm! We would all crowd around her table!



Each time we would go visit, she would be sleeping in the bed or in her wheelchair! Her most frequent complaint was that she was just soooo tired. She repeated several times that she is so ready to go to the other side and be with grandpa. She said, "I just can't figure out how to go!" And we always say, "There must be something left for you to accomplish!". Her response: "Well, I wish someone would tell me what it is so I can be doing it."

She is well taken care of in this place. It is a modern, clean, friendly, active center and best of all it is near her daughter, Ilene, who looks after her with so much care!




Mark having a "heart to heart" with his mom! But, she made him a little emotional when she said, "You are our only son, and you have fulfilled all our dreams." He replied, "Well, I had a good mom and dad!'" She kept telling us how wonderful we were and when we started feeling undeserving of all of her praises, I said, "Well, we're not perfect, yet." Her response: "I know you're not, but you'll manage." I told her that sometimes we get a little discouraged and she said, "Everyone gets discouraged, but everything will come out in the wash. You just keep washing."



Saying goodbye is always hard. When we gave her the last hug (mind you, I was bawling by then), I reminded her that she has never made it easy for us to leave and go home from our vacations with her. I told her that each time we left, our whole family driving out of her driveway, was teary-eyed, had a lumps in our throats and said very little until we were halfway to Pocatello! She chuckled, but still didn't make easy for us!

Becca and Maria said it well, when they said she is so beloved by us all because she has such a genuine interest and love for each individual!

We are all honored to have her in our lives!!

11 comments:

Our Beautiful Life said...

How sweet, it sounds like you had a wonderful visit. I'm bawling over here. I can never hold back my own tears when I see Mark cry!

The Mendenhall's said...

I am so glad that I got to see her. She is honestly one of the dearest people in my lives. It is hard for me to see her in pain, but it was so fun to see her and talk to her. What a sweet post. Of course I got teary eyed too!

kelly said...

jenny, what a beautiful touching post. and such sweet photos!
and a wonderful lady...
lucky mark.

Ammo and Josh said...

Wow, that is so touching and made me tear up! Simply beautiful!

The Dillon 6 said...

I have to say that between your SWEET post about your sweet mother in law, and the Women's Gymnastics final, I am in tears! She is such a beautiful person, and I can see where her goodness has been passed down to her children and grandchildren (and her great grandchildren, too!).

And once again, I love the pictures you took...so intimate without being intrusive. :)

Jaime said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing this. She sounds like a fantastic woman. mark is a very lucky son to have a mom like her. love the pictures, especially showing the emotion.

Kari said...

Wow, we must have been in Idaho at the same time!

My parents live down near Blackfoot on the Snake River. Isn't Idaho great? Looks like you had a great trip!

Rebecca said...

this is the second time i've read this post and i still can't stop the tears! i am so, SO, happy we were able to make it down to visit grandma this year. what an amazing woman... and even though she was so tired and in so much pain, she still hasn't lost her sense of humor! she is and will always be a big influence in my life!

Unknown said...

That left me with a lump in my throat. What a beautiful mother Uncle Mark has. You are a wonderful photographer. You capture the moment perfectly!

The Ward Family Tree and All of It's Branches! said...

Love this post. She is so sweet and we can all learn from her gift of love and interest she gives to her loved ones. If measurement of success as grandparents was love and admiration by grandchildren, she gets the highest marks. Thanks for sharing. By the way, Kelly and I went to I.F. on the 6th of Aug. for our 30th Anniversary. We went to the temple and it was so great. We also went to Blackfoot for cute little Molly's blessing. Good times! I loved Idaho. But I kept telling myself it was August not February! Ha!

Angie Startin said...

I have mascara running down my face:) Oh, she is such a sweet lady! The comment about wanting to go but not knowing how just killed me.

Thank you for all of the comments on my blog. I love each and every one of them!