Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Busy Weekend!

Saturday evening we were invited to my brother Ed and sister-in-law Barb's place for a family dinner. I had not seen their new condo overlooking the Puget Sound near the Edmonds/Kingstons ferry. I had heard a lot about it and I was not disappointed! The view is exquisite! She had invited brothers and sisters and parents for dinner. Here are some pictures of the event:

Their beautiful home!




Ed getting everyone's attention~



My parents!


Ed being the entertainment for the evening!


Me, Amy, Linda, Patty, Jan, Mark, Barb, Robert and Ed




Daytime view from their windows!



Sunday I went to Olympia to care for my parents while Rose and John were out of town on a business trip. It's always a big job and a big pleasure to be there with them. Mom pretty much knows how to care for my dad and just needs a few reminders once in awhile and of course a lot of help mobilizing him. Mom loves to talk about the past and about all her kids do for them.


Mom feeding dad his "yummy" soft foods!

We all chuckled that my mom has 13 children, 68 grandchildren, and 88 great-grandchildren, yet she has more pictures of President Bush in their room than any other person. She worked for the Republican Party in Bonney Lake for many years and headed up a lot of caucuses. So they continue send her lots of mail which often includes a picture of Bush, Bush and his wife, Bush and Cheney and Bush and John McCain - and of course each manila envelope contains a donation slip. She is proud of her service there and enjoyed it very much!


Several years ago my dad told his Bishop that he needed his own personal parking spot at the church. So one Christmas Bishop Wagner got dad this sign and hung it above Dad's carport. When they moved in with Rose and John they brought it with them and now it has a special spot right above the toilet in their master bath. I thought about taking a picture of him there, but decided he needs to be able to retain some dignity in his later years.

It was fun to be there with them. Amy came down and spent time with us. We took a trip out to Rocky Bay to see Jerry. Jerry didn't really respond verbally to us at first. When Amy asked him if she could give him a big kiss on his cheek, he opened his eyes wide and gave a half a smile. It is getting harder for him to process what we say to him and then it takes a long time for him to respond. He did say "good-bye" to us which touched our hearts. It was lots of fun chatting with Kristina and her husband, LeGrand and with Megan. What fun girls! And Amy was an angel keeping Lyla (Kristina and LeGrand's beautiful little baby girl) happy and content.

It was a fun weekend, but I was happy to come home to Mark, but sad to see that he was sick with all the crud going around.

8 comments:

Kari said...

How fun that you all get together! I liked your pictures on FB too. Ed and Barb's condo is GORGEOUS! The story about Pres. Bush made me laugh, that's great! Love the parking sign, too :) Glad you guys had fun!

The J's said...

I'm glad that you had such a fun time! Their house is beautiful. One day.... Hope Dad feels better soon!

The Dillon 6 said...

beautiful home with a great view!!

You have such a great sense of humor! I love it!! the parking sign cracked me up!

And I'm glad you were able to avoid The Crud while you were in Olympia...hopefully everyone recovers quickly!

Rebecca said...

what a fun time! grandma & grandpa are so cute and i'm proud to come from a family with such a great sense of humor. that sign in the bathroom is hilarious!

ps... ed & barb's place is awesome. i need to secure myself an invite someday. :)

kelly said...

sounds like a great weekend!
b&e's place IS fab!
we love the view!

Jaime said...

They're place is amazing. So happy to hear you all got together & reconnected. Sounds like a wonderful time. And you are such a sweetheart to step in when Rose & John are away.

Ammo and Josh said...

sounds like a great weekend! That is funny Grandma has more pictures up of President Bush than of her own family. She likes to show me her "personalized" Christmas card Bush sends here every year. Love it.

ASRussell said...

HOw fun...I really miss being ablt to see the family like we used to when we lived there...And isn't Ed ALWAYS the entertainment??? I think it is just expected!!!;D